Google Maps for iOS launches and is installed 10 million times in 48 hours
Google Maps finally launched for iOS and all iPhone users have been desperate to get their hands on a copy. Apples Map App is a disaster to use and Google's depth and accuracy of map data cannot even come close to what is offered by Apple's map app.
Google Maps for iOS is a huge success and this comes as no big surprise because Apple's map app is such poor quality. Google Maps for iOS has been downloaded over 10 million times in the 48 hours after it appeared in the app store.
10 million downloads is huge anad it is rare that a company as large as Google would share such numbers. It is obvious bragging rights. The Google Maps app sits firmly on top of the free app leaderboard in Apple’s App Store. The people have spoken and they have said that they prefer Google’s offering over the map app Apple bundles with iOS 6.
The rumours said that Google's map app was coming but nobody knew when it would arrive before Christmas 2012. Google waited until the last possible moment to announce it's availability.
Given the criticism Apple received for their failed Maps app, it was widely presumed that many users were holding out from updating to iOS 6. Supposedly, these users were not so keen on using Apple’s mapping system instead of Google Maps, which it replaced.
Following the much-awaited return of Google Maps on iOS, Chitika found that only a small percentage of users within its mobile ad network updated to iOS 6. 72.77 percent of Chitika users were using iOS 6 a few hours prior to the release of Google Maps and the following day there were 72.94 percent. This represents a negligible 0.17 percent increase. The media may have over-hyped the discontent of iOS users.
Huber at Google said the following:
"We’re excited for the positive reception of Google Maps for iPhone around the world. Congratulations to the Maps Team on the recognition for the passion and hard work they poured into it, for this release and over the last 7+ years."
If you’re an iPhone user and haven’t downloaded the Google Maps for iOS yet, download it on the App Store or visit: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id585027354?mt=8.
Feedback from users has been mostly positive. The Google Maps team will be iterating the iOS version rapidly because the initial release ships with only core features and there is no iPad version (you have to run the iPhone version on the iPad at this time). One of the features that was left out at launch is biking directions which may make it into the app in the New Year.
Overall, the future is bright Google mobile apps, and they have also released overhauls of Gmail and Google+ apps for iOS.
Google Maps for iOS product description
Navigate your world with Google Maps, now available for iPhone. Get comprehensive, accurate and easy-to-use maps with built-in Google local search, voice guided turn-by-turn navigation, public transit directions, Street View and more. Use Google Maps to discover great places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and reviews from people you trust. Sign in to save your favorite places and quickly access all your past searches and directions from your computer, right on your phone.
- Find addresses, places and businesses around the world with Google local search.
- Discover places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and local reviews.
- Sign in to sync your searches, directions, and favorite places between your computer and your phone.
- Get voice guided, turn-by-turn driving directions.
- Find your way by train, bus, subway or walking directions.
- Access live traffic information in cities across the world.
Street View and imagery
- View 360-degree panoramas of places around the globe with Street View.
- See inside more than 100,000 businesses worldwide.
- View high resolution satellite imagery of locations around the world.
Simple and easy to use
- An entirely new Google Maps experience on your iPhone.
- Newly designed and streamlined interface for even easier navigation of your world.
- Use gestures to explore the map and browse results.